Calla Lilies are one of the most beautiful flowers with a unique flower form. Calla lilies come in a wide array of colours for example, pink, purple, yellow and orange.
Calla lilies are excellent house plants, best for beds, borders, bouquets and flower arrangements.
Calla Lilies signify magnificence and beauty. Further combined with the attributes associated with the color you choose, Calla lilies can convey a wealth of meaning.
There’s not too much required for the care of calla lilies other than keeping them watered and fertilized. An adequate layer of mulch around the plants will help keep the area moist and free of weeds. Calla lilies require a dormant period once flowering has ceased. During this time, you should refrain from watering as much to allow the plant to die back.
Some interesting facts:
- The Calla lily is a perennial bulb.
- Though called a lily, Calla lilies are not really lilies.
- Calla is a flowering genus of twenty-eight species originating in Africa and growing mostly in marshy areas.
- Calla lilies are grown from bulbous roots with finger-like growths. These are known as tubers.
- The blooming time of Calla lilies is during winter and spring.
- The word Calla comes from the Greek term for beautiful.
- The Calla lily roots are poisonous.