Designing an efficient kitchen
By Rami Moorosi
A well-designed kitchen can save you time and energy. It is for this reason that it is important that you create ample space to store items, in an easy-to-reach location. Dynamic Space is an initiative by Blum that offers home owners useful planning tips to assist you in creating a comfortable, stylish and practical kitchen that you can work in.
Tips for an optimal workflow in your kitchen
- Make use of full extension drawers that a good overview of what they contain, instead of shelves that restrict movement. Shelves do not allow for easy packing and unpacking of goods, resulting in a drain of your time and energy.
- Make sure that your work surface is the proper height – the ideal distance between your elbow and the work top should be between 10cm to 15cm.
- Install practical inner dividing systems to ensure neat and organised storage space.
- Plan the kitchen in five zones: consumables, non-consumables, cleaning, preparation and cooking, to ensure a practical work space where you can easily and effectively complete chores and prepare meals
- Store items according to how frequently you make use of them. Items used daily should be easily accessible.
For more tips on how to create the ideal kitchen, look out for next month’s issue where I have written a special kitchen supplement. Some of the features include the latest trends and kitchen renovation tips.